I was blessed to be part of a summer baby boom when I had Cam. Between my friends and family, there are 7 little boys either a few months/weeks older or younger than my son. I can’t wait until his older years when it will be easy to visit my friends with their sons Cam’s exact same age. We have a readymade playgroup!
One of the best parts of having this group of peers when I was a new mommy, was that we could compare and share all the things we were learning or experiencing within the same period of time. When one of us found a great technique, baby item, or sale we could share this new found knowledge with other moms needing similar things. I will talk about the importance of having a Mom Squad in another post but wanted to share one of my favorite things that I used nonstop from Cam turning 4 weeks old – The Boppy Newborn Lounger.
When I saw these in the store before I had Cam, I thought why would anyone need this? Can’t they just use a pillow or a blanket and get the same result? My friend, whose son is exactly a week younger than Cam, received this as a baby shower gift and kept singing its praises. Her son was in it often and it was a great alternative to a bouncer or swing, which he was not always willing to stay in very long. One day I opened the mail, and being the great friend and Godmother that she is, there was a newborn lounger for Cam. It was the perfect thing for him to sit in when awake and we love it. I know it seems like a unnecessary extra but here are a few reasons why I Love Love Love it:
- Its the perfect Take-A-Long for visiting others. Have a trip to your girlfriend an hour away and can’t bring a bouncer or other item to place the baby in while you chat? This is the perfect alternative to a blanket on the floor. It won’t take up a ton of room or be difficult to breakdown like a bouncer or swing but it provides more padding and comfort than a blanket on the floor. Which leads to reason 2…
- That extra padding seems to make it more comfortable for babies. When I placed Cam on a blanket on the floor he quickly stretched his arms out and looked at me like I was crazy. When I placed Cam in the newborn lounger he would spend much more time cooing, playing and calmly relaxing. Of course he spends time on his activity mat to help with his development and for tummy time, but for moments when he is just relaxing and awake, this is a much better option than just a blanket or mat on the floor. As he grew this became a great way to prop him on a couch or eventually to sit and read on the floor.
- You can use it up to 16 lbs which could be 5 or 6 months. One of the crazy things about newborns, is how fast they grow out of things. I feel like I am constantly packing up barely used items to give away to my friends that have a slightly younger child. So when I find something that will last at least 6 months it seems like an eternity. We still use this even though Cam is 2 as a floor pillow. It is great for sitting for long periods of time while he plays or he loves to sit in the middle and look though his books. For around $30 and for
the amount of use it gets, this is a more than worthwhile investment. If you have it and begin using it soon after returning home from the hospital it will quickly become a staple in your everyday interaction with your child for several months, and possibly years.
- Its perfect for even the smallest newborns.Often if you try to place a newborn in a swing or bouncer (Even with the newborn inserts) they are slumped over since their necks aren’t strong and their bodies are so tiny. This lounger perfectly conforms to their little bodies, keeping their necks and heads in place.
- Another place for sleeping (*Not the recommended or intended use, and actually contrary to all of the warnings on the Boppy) I quickly learned as a new mom that contrary to everything I read, the bassinet and other “bed-like” items were not always the places my son slept the best. I will admit that he spent more than one night in his bouncer, sleeping on me or in his Boppy Newborn Lounger. Most often this occurred during the day when I was awake but once you figure out a way to get your child to sleep, you will go with it day, night or otherwise. Many of my friends that own this pillow have noted, that it can be great for naps in the day when the baby is near you and unable to roll or move too much in those early months.
The Boppy Newborn Lounger is a definite Mommy Must Have and a surprising thing I Love Love Love. It seems like it would be an unnecessary extra that might take up space unused in your closet, but that is the farthest thing from reality. We used it every single day for his first 8 months. Happy Lounging!